Motorcycle Helmets started their odyssey of existence with the first patent application by Professor C.F. “Red” Lombard in 1953. It was initially a pre-requisite just to ensure safety norms while riding the bike but nowadays, retro motorcycle helmets have become synonymous with fashion and current trend. The first full face helmet Bell Star in 1963 kicked off the motorcycle helmets generating business and since them, a plethora of helmets with varied look has been observed for the multitudinous needs of the biker. The booming era of the 1960s and 1970s saw a proliferation of these retro motorcycle helmets that complemented the rugged rustic motorcycles.
What to consider before buying a helmet
For a neophyte, a sudden leap to the most advanced helmet with a number of features is not the ultimate sagacious option. One has to consider the deep implications of riding a bike, and muse if it is the hobby and ardent passion one wants to develop further. A little time with one’s bike is indispensable. Getting a hang of the vehicle is absolutely necessary before considering the type of helmet that goes along with it. The second point that one has to keep in mind is the frequency with which one might ride a bike. If a person generally wants to ride a lot instead of usually commuting, a better helmet with wind and noise reduction features might seem like a suitable option to invest in.
One you have decided the basics of riding, you have to ponder about the kind of features you’d want in your helmet. This includes the helmet weight, the helmet construction and other optional features. Helmets usually weigh around the range of 1400 to 1800 gm. It is advisable that the weight is distributed evenly all over your head to give you a more comfortable fit. The construction of the helmet is an equally important factor. Popular materials include polycarbonate, fiberglass composite, and carbon fiber. Lastly, helmets are decked with a number of modern features to give you increased and long-lasting benefits. If you are looking to ride a lot you might want to check the features of a UV Resistance glass, Noise Reduction provision, Bluetooth installments and the like.
Generally, a sports bike calls in for a full faced helmet to ensure maximum safety. Given below is a list of possible choices of retro motorcycle helmets to choose from. We hope to give a brief comprehensive idea about each one of them for the aid of the reader.
Options to choose from
Torc T50 Route 66 ¾ Helmet- The helmet shell is essentially lightweight ABS and the lining is a removable suede interior that provides a lot of space and prevents the scalp from excessive perspiration. The helmet is approved by DOT standards. It comes with a clear visor as a protective sun glare. It cuts down road noise to a significant extent for the convenience of the biker. However, the helmet is bulkier than open helmets which might pose as a hindrance during possible situations.
AGV RP60 Royal Helmet- With an advanced composite fiber (ACF) fiberglass shell on the outside, this retro motorcycle helmet has a rounded exterior that is typical reminiscent of the ‘50s and ‘60s. It is very comfortable during long windy rides where the Double-D retention makes sure that the helmet does not rip off the helmet also provides ample space for air with its plush and comfortable interior that fits snugly. The only downside is the absence of an outside venting.
Biltwell Gringo- The helmet comes with an ABS outer shell and with a polystyrene inner shell. It is typically rustic with its construction and finishes with a comfortable breathable interior and a build that could fit even unusually shaped heads. The protection offered is not intensive enough which might pose a threat even to highly experienced bikers.
AGV Diesel Hi-Jack- Although the Hi-Jack provides the bare minimum neck and jaw protection, the look is reminiscent of a helicopter pilot helmet with a dual position drop in visor which is easy to operate even while wearing gloves. It comes with a quick release strap that makes it even easier to operate and a low fiberglass dome which allows for extra aerodynamics.
Bell Rogue- The Bell Rogue comes with an option for an open or a closed face and borrows inspiration heavily from German military riders. The composite shell with a light ridge is exceptionally efficient in dusting off debris and thee wind. The liner is removable and does not allow sweat to accumulate thus resulting in bacterial growth. The shell is EPS and three in number. The only downside is the noise vibrations which amplify at higher speeds.
Recommendation #5 TORC (T50 Route 66) 3/4 Helmet with ‘Rebel Star’ Graphic
All the bike riders out there have always fascinated the bikers who have lived in the past. With that badass bike where the rider used to roll on the street with no fear. The helmets back then were not really very trendy or protective but the cases of accidents were also less. Those helmets charm us even today and we want to have them while riding. TORC has come up with one such help which is called ¾ helmet which means that it has a removable sun visor and has a different shape than the normal one’s today. It is definitely a little pricey but it is worth a buy.
Features and Benefits
- Well, talking about the features of the helmet, it is one of the fascinating ones from the retro age. It has a charm that no other helmet can have today. It is made with a material that is very durable and strong which provides protection against all the kinds of accidents. Being of a unique design does not mean lack of protection and safety.
- It has various designs and sizes in which it is available. This one has a rebel star painted on the sides of the helmet. This makes it fiercer and fun to have it on while rolling on the streets. It will definitely grab the attention.
- The paint that is used on the helmet is then given a matte finish. The glossy ones generally lack the aesthetic appeal. The matte finish is done on the total surface which not only makes it look amazing but it also increases the longevity of the helmet.
- Back then, there was no modern technology so the things such as vents, removable parts, etc. were not fitted in the helmet. But when these retro helmets are being manufactured now, they have a removable sun visor, vents for constant air circulation within the helmet, etc.
- The helmet is not only trendy and charming, but it also provides complete protection, comfort, and style to the bike rider.
- We are blessed to live in an era where there is cutting edge technology to make out equipment better than before. In this helmet, there are various features added which make it stand out. The sun visor is removable which makes it flexible for the user to use the helmet without it at night.
- Talking about the technology, the helmet is manufactured in such a way that there are vents provided on the surface of the helmet. These vents are not really visible but they play a major role in maintaining the flow of fresh air in the helmet. This makes sure that the rider has a comfortable ride along with being safe.
- There are bolts provided on the sides of the helmet. In case if you meet with an accident and the paramedics are unable to remove the helmet as a whole because you cannot move your neck, the bolts can be opened and the helmet can be converted into parts.
- This helmet is available in various sizes and designs. The designs include a rebel star print, matte black, matte silver, etc. This provides the user a wide variety to choose from and still have the retro look while riding that amazing bike. Also, there are different sizes user can choose from to make sure that the helmet is perfect for their head.
- One of the major problems with this helmet is, there is no cushion fit inside the helmet. If there is no cushion, the hard plastic will directly be in contact with the head. This can provide discomfort in many ways. You will sweat more; the helmet will be heavy and shock absorbing capacity will also be less.
- Also, there are not as many features as the helmet in the price lower than this would have. This helmet lacks most of the modern-day features which make riding the bike even more joyful and comfortable. This makes it a little overpriced. But if you want to go with the look, there is not better option than this.
- This is a ¾ helmet which means it does not cover the full face. It is a mixture of full faced helmet and a half-faced helmet. In this case, the rear side of the head will be well protected but if you think about the front, you can have face injuries of neck jerk in the case of an accident.
This is one of the most wonderful helmets in the market if you go according to the looks. There is a matte finish paint, rebel star design and is available in various sizes. Also, you can find it in offline stores where you can go and try it before buying it. But, it does not really ensure safety that is necessary for long rides.See Lowest Price Here
Recommendation #4 AGV RP60 Royal Helmet, Distinct Name: Flat Black/White, Gender: Mens/Unisex, Helmet
AGV established by Gino Amisano is a world renowned Italian helmet manufacturing company that has been offering sophisticated and classy helmet designs since its inception in the year 1946. Being the first company to have designed world’s primary fiberglass helmet in 1954, it also revolutionized the stereotypical helmet designs into more stylish ones. The AGV helmets are also a favorite among one of the best former motorcycle racers of all times, Valentino Rossi. The company has been devotedly using some of the most innovative technologies even used by top motorcycle riders in professional races. It is one of those few companies which design retro motorcycle helmets which are still popular among modern-day motorcyclists. One such exemplary and stylish model introduced by the company is AGV RP60 Royal Helmet which is similar to the vintage designs which were popular in the 50’s and 60’s. Taking into consideration the physical aspects of the helmet, it weighs a total of 4.4 pounds. The round internal shape of the helmet provides justice to the traditional vintage designs that were sold initially. The classic vintage appeal is sure to fuel the pure spirited motorcyclists out there. Other than being available in small size, the helmets are available in extra-large sizes as well. The flat black/white color is quite exquisite in its appeal. Apart from being offered in flat black/white, there is another color variant namely Royal black/gold. Moreover, the helmet design is quite gender neutral and can be used by both men and women. Riders who are looking forward to purchasing AGV RP60 Royal Helmet can look into the following mentioned features, pros and cons which would help them make a sound decision. The following mentioned details would enable motorcyclists to compare between different helmet brands as well and choose the best accordingly.
Features and benefits
- The Advanced Composite Fibreglass (ACF) shell is quite strong and unbreakable due to which it proves to be shock resistant when it comes to emergency situations.
- The fabric utilized in designing the interior is sanitized which hinders the breeding ground for bacteria.
- The inner padding can be easily removed and washed regularly according to user’s convenience. This is especially helpful in summer times when sweat and grime formation is at its peak.
- AGV RP60 Royal Helmet has been crafted using lightweight material and thus can be carried around easily. Being lightweight, the helmet stays in place even while riding during heavy winds.
- The usage of faux leather accentuates the vintage appeal of the helmet and thus beautifies it even further.
- The motorcyclists can even use sunglasses along with the helmet without any hassles for protection from the scorching sun. The studs located in the front area along with a ring-like structure are ideal for holding sunglasses.
- The helmet provides a snug and comfortable fit to the user and does not emanate any vibrations when riding over rough or coarse surfaces.
- Regarding the certifications, DOT is one such important safety standard that must be ensured before a helmet is even put on sale.
- Another important safety standards certification is ECE which is followed by more than 50 countries.
The AGV RP60 Royal Helmet is both DOT and ECE certified.
- There are very few companies offering helmet designs which are gender neutral and can be used by both men and women. AGV RP60 Royal Helmet is one such exemplary product.
- The vintage appeal of the helmet is quite uncommon these days. That is why AGV RP60 Royal Helmet is a popular choice among motorcyclists when it comes to choosing retro motorcycle helmets.
- The helmet has been created using some of the latest technologies today which are also used by world class racers.
- The helmet is quite ideal for day to day use and can be conveniently carried around.
- Being an open face helmet, it may not provide safety as compared to full face helmets during accidents.
- The gap between the helmet liners and cheek pads can invite foreign articles and even air which can prove to be a distraction for the motorcyclists.
- The noise cancellation feature is absent since it is an open helmet. So, it can be problematic for some.
Overall, the AGV helmet company has been offering best helmet models since its inception. The exquisite varieties of vintage as well as modern designs offered by the company have had many takers till now. The company designs all its products keeping in mind the suitable protection and safety standards. A good combination of style, contemporary design and all round comfort makes it an ideal helmet for all the motorcyclists out there. Thus, the AGV RP60 Royal Helmet is absolutely worth the buy and highly recommended for all those motorcyclists who seek a vintage riding feel of 50’s and the 60’s era.See Lowest Price Here
Recommendation #3 Biltwell Gringo Flat Helmet
Bitwell Gringo Flat Helmet is a new and spectacular retro motorcycle helmet. This DOT certified riding helmet weighs at 3 pounds and has a 13 x 11 x 10.5 inches’ dimension. The company offers this helmet in a variety of colors ranging from a flashy orange to a vintage white with titanium finish. The Gringo helmet is the first of its kind for the company, since it is their first full face riding helmet, offering enhanced protection and aerodynamics. The Gringo allows riders to maintain their café and retro look without having to splurge too much for various amenities such as an in-built communication system and an automatic visor. It provides a seamless interior with a comfortable feel.
Features and Benefits
- The Bitwell Gringo Flat Helmet is available in five colors, namely flashy orange, vintage white, flat black, titanium, flat chocolate and a glossy black.
- The helmet has a hand painted finish and an expanded polystyrene inner shell.
- An internal BioFoam chin pad is hand sewn within the helmet to provide additional support to support your chin.
- A rubber edging on the shell and eye port is present to prevent any discomfort imaginable.
- Hand painted finish to provide the look and feel of legitimate retro motorcycle helmets.
- It is a full-face helmet, providing substantial head support and ventilation.
- The helmet features a typical bowl headed shape to cater to the retro look.
- A fixed padding allows air space near the neck region to provide ventilation when going at faster speeds.
- Has five snaps located above and around the eye port to facilitate better vision, along with easy installation of the other Bitwell accessories such as the bubble shield.
- A light and airy structure to allow a free-flowing feel.
- A hand sewn brushed Lycra liner which is adjustable and removable.
- Lycra liner allows quick absorption of sweat, and a steady hold on your head.
- It offers a perfect sizing chart, thus allowing a perfect fitting to ensure a smooth ride.
- Soft interiors are present to make your face feel comfortable within the shell.
- Regarding visibility, the Gringo has an average sized eye port allowing you to wear goggles on top.
- It is light in weight so it doesn’t feel heavy on the head, and avoid pain and stiffness to the neck.
- It is perfect according to the price. It offers splendid quality and graphics, along with comfort and ease for the price range, with a perfect café or bobber aesthetic.
- A chin strap is present at the bottom to enhance support and structure.
- The Gringo provides a relaxed riding atmosphere with a comfortable helmet, basically a normal ¾ helmet with a chin strap.
- It has a well cushioned interior with an aesthetic stitching to give a better retro look.
- It fits better than other DOT approved ¾ helmets, given its supple cushioning.
- It allows easy intake of air from the bottom of the helmet.
- The Gringo offers a clean slate to the riders who wish to modify their helmets. The flat finish allows riders to customize their helmets in ways they please.
- The helmet provides an additional advantage apart from graphics, it is the easy to manage interior with a removable visor to clean and dry.
- It allows the addition of different windshields and usage of goggles as well, helping to complete the retro look with finesse.
- This helmet is definitely not made for hardcore riders who venture into the wild or wicked roads.
- Does not have any airway vents, thus reducing the aerodynamics.
- It does not have an increase in padding at the bottom, thus leaving quite a bit of space which is uncomfortable at higher speeds.
- The crisscross pattern of the padding gives a very different, even uncomfortable feel and doesn’t allow a tight uniform fit.
- The neck strap feels coarse and tight.
- The eye port opening may seem tight to certain riders depending on their size, insertion of goggles becomes difficult.
- It does not have a windshield, thus requiring extra expenditure to avoid a tedious ride.
- No noise cancellation feature, it doesn’t induce booms or whistles which makes a long ride taxing.
- The inner visor isn’t as easily removable as it looks.
- The lack of ventilation ports makes it difficult to maintain the internal temperature.
All in all, the Gringo is definitely a good investment providing the ease and comfort of modern day helmets without splurging and also providing the looks and feel of a retro helmet. It accentuates the retro look with its paint job and also spares room for customization. The Gringo is an indefinite choice when it comes to ¾ helmets as it sustains your ride with comfort and caters to the rugged and relaxed look. This DOT approved helmet is a steal and worth every penny.See Lowest Price Here
Bell Rogue is a retro motorcycle helmet which has been built to be worn by both, male and female riders. The appearance of Rogue is of a half helmet, which offers comfort due to the cushioned padding covering the head. Bell Rogue has been designed to provide comfort to the rider, and also comes with an adjustable muzzle which can be removed. In addition to the design, the helmet is pretty light weighted and hence eliminates the development of any pressure point on the head due to the weight. The helmet has an extremely comfortable interior and is composed of a compact shell which avoids loosening of the helmet and fits right into the head.
Features and Benefits
- The Rogue helmet has been designed to form a composite shell which is compact and can be worn by both, male and female riders. The helmet has been designed with a three shell; EPS sizes have also been provided for a perfect fit varying from person to person.
- The product comes with a dimensional configuration of 14.4 x 11 x 11 inches and so, has been provided the benefits of being a cruiser helmet.
- These retro motorcycle helmets have been provided with an adjustable, as well as removable muzzle which has a removable liner. It is durable and adjustable; it is accompanied with a fid lock magnetic connection, in order to help the rider to easily remove the muzzle.
- The helmet is provided with a pocket to accommodate a convenient helmet audio or speaker system.
- The interiors of this helmet can be conveniently removed and washed.
- The helmet weighs 2.8 pounds and is perfectly light weighted, hence eliminates the development of any pressure point on the head.
- The product features an appearance of a half helmet and hence provides the comfort of once. The helmet can hence be worn with goggles or glasses due to the absence of a front face covering screen guard.
- The Bell Rogue helmets are of a light weight and provide with a composite shell, which helps in optimizing the comfort of the rider. At high speeds, its adjustable muzzle facilitates easy breathing. The FID lock property tends to make it easy for the rider to remove or keep the muzzle while riding.
- The helmet is made up of 3 layers guaranteeing maximum protection of the riders from any external force and protects from head injuries.
- The helmet has been provided with a speaker pocket which reduces the chances of the rider to stop by the road in order to send or receive calls.
- The helmet is large sized and weighs 28 pounds and its dimensions are approximately 14 x 11 x 11 inches.
- The Bell Rogue helmets have been cushioned with cheek pads in order to aptly fit the rider’s head into the helmet. This design has been made possible due to the difference in width between the front and back of the helmet. This feature of the helmet provides with safety as well as comfort in order to comfortably carry on the ride.
- The Bell Rogue helmets are considered for their durability even though it has a relatively larger helmet, the use of the light weight shell and the composite make of the helmet with plush linings have proved to be the showstopper amongst the range of similar products.
- The durability of the speakers has been made good and hence the durability of the product is also incomparable.
- A warranty of 5 years on the helmet provides with the benefits to service a damaged part of the helmet modification, which has not been provided on purchase and not on the cause of any external injury or wear and tear issue.
- The helmet is prone to catching grease spots, streaks and marks, and hence shows a problem in removing the interiors of any form of cleaning to mend that anomaly.
- When the speed of the bike crosses 70 mile/hour, the helmet tends to vibrate and produce noises due to wind blast, and hence disturbs the concentration of the rider due to the prevailing irritation.
- The presence of the muzzle is due to the protection of the nose area. The muzzle in many cases has been complained to be lower than the face, and hence hindering the riders from proper concentration. Instead of protecting the nose, the muzzle tends to reach the chin and mouth area.
- The face guard tends to stick out, and hence prevents the rider to see the odometer, gas gauge or speedometer properly.
- The absence of a full-face screen guard, the face tends to remain naked to any external force and can affect the eyes during speed.
Bell helmets are no doubt considered to be the best helmets when it comes to a durability, comfort, safety, and perfection in design of the helmet. The Bell Rogue helmet, one of their successful product gives the user the benefits of all the advantages it has mentioned while riding including a 5-year warranty.See Lowest Price Here
Recommendation #1 Bell Bullitt Unisex – Adult Full Face Street Helmet
Many people today crave for the retro style bike helmets while many also want a classic street helmets while almost everyone wants to maintain balance and want a fusion of both looks. The search ends now, Bell Bullitt has launched a range of retro motorcycle helmets which are a unique and an only fit for your search safari. This retro motorcycle helmet is an answer for all those who want an either of classical look and retro look while it’s definitely an answer for all those who want a fusion of above stated both. These helmets rock the retro look with classical designs and colors. It brings back an era as a whole to the 21st century. For sure they are already rocking the markets and are spinning the heads of many bystanders, fellow driving mates and pedestrians or a community as a whole.
Features and Benefits
- The product guarantees personalized fits so no trying on every helmet now and then and again with so many options choosing the wrong one and just to save yourself and embarrassment of visiting again and asking for a replacement using the same till it wears out, because humans are adaptable.
- The built of this helmet is a carbon body thus making it lighter than almost all the helmets available in the market at present. It is light weight. Lighter on head means a little less worry for the day.
- Three shell sizes available of expanded polystyrene (EPS) foams. A variety of range to choose from, lighter on weight lighter on pocket.
- Use of expanded polystyrene (EPS) ensure the helmet is properly ventilated as the fabric keeps breathing air thus providing a proper supply of oxygen to inhale which ensures no frequent removing and putting on the helmet several times while driving thus a safe drive to places of individual importance.
- Pivots discs keeping the visor stable are aluminum metal brushed which adds more to the look of the said helmet prolonging its age with a slight touch of glamour.
- The pivot discs unlike the other helmets in the market which have a fiber O-rings are replaced with the rubber O-rings ensuring an easy movement of the visor so no more pushing hard to lift the visor nor establishing a specific angle between the force of hands and visor surface to pull it up or either push it down.
- Perfectly designed smooth cheek pads on inside so as to provide with a frictionless contact between the cheeks and helmet. No more red rashes on those smooth as silk cheeks.
- The helmet has got a metallic chin vent which makes it much safer from a point of view of safety as a safety criterion also the vent ensures undisturbed air ventilation through the helmet.
- The helmet as also got an overhead dual meshed vent either of it works as an air intake while remaining other obviously serves as an exhaust for air. Its overhead location keeps the head a little cool by supplying constant flow of air while it being meshed keeps the unwanted big dust particles away from those precious than life hairs.
- No more escape route for saliva on the fellow passenger’s face or body cause this helmet makes it sure that the more important than driving talks remain uninterrupted by providing an anti-bacterial speaker pocket which ensures the saliva remains away from the fellow passenger while the conversation continues, undisturbed.
- The helmet comes with a pure leather strapped D-ring so carrying a helmet while on walk is no longer a problem it is pretty safe wherever it is kept.
- The product uses a multi density expandable polystyrene (EPS) lined interior which increases its safety ensuring a safer to use product.
- The chinstrap is padded so as it supports the face and keeps itself in contact with the face which makes the helmet more safer and increases the protection while the D-ring ensures an easy lock and unlock facility thud giving a hassle-free experience.
- The pull tab used is multi density as it increases its life while it also ensures a safe removal of helmet without applying strain on head.
- The interiors of the helmet are removable, also they are washable and are anti-bacterial so no fungi growth or any deadly bacterial encounter.
- The helmets are available in ten colors and designs thus providing a large range of variety to choose from as per the favorites.
- The dimensions of helmet are 14x11x10.5 inches which is quite a standard size also it is light weight weighing just a half and one kilograms.
- It is available with accessories so it can be personalized to individuals likes.
- It provides with a perfect field of vision without any obstruction or distortion.
- It had a lot of stitches on its interior which might cause problems to some individuals.
- Its size calls for a little problem while removing it to certain individuals.
- It starts to whistle at a slight higher speed which is kind of irritating at sometimes.
It comes with a load of benefits with very little flaws which again are extended to certain individuals and not all so it calls for a must buy verdict to all classic era and retro era fans while other can buy when mesmerized by its looks on some fellow mates headsSee Lowest Price Here
It is also imperative that one gives a thought to the price involved and chooses their retro motorcycle helmet perspicaciously. They could also go in for a second-hand retro full-face helmet because these things are exceptionally durable. What is important is that the biker, experienced or just a novice carefully considers all his options and chooses accordingly the helmet that best suits his needs.See Lowest Price Here